Decorate cookies before baking by brushing them with slightly beaten egg white and adding one of the following:
- Sprinkle with white or colored granulated sugar.
- Place a nut of chocolate chip on center of cookie.
- Decorate with small pieces of candied fruit, chopped nuts, coconut or chocolate sprinkles
When using this egg white glaze you may need to increase baking time by about 1 minute.
(Davis family note: We’ve never used the egg white and it seems to work out).
You can also decorate cookies after baking by:
- Placing a small amount of jam or colored frosting on top.
- Brushing tops with sugar glaze then sprinkling with chopped nuts, coconut, decorative candy bits, etc.
- Roll warm cookies in powedered sugar.
- Dip half of cookie in melted semi-sweet chocolate then sprinkle with ground nuts.
- Brush with thin glaze. Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 4-5 teaspoons hot milk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well.
- Make sandwich cookies by placing frosting between two cookies.